Here's a recipe from SCV's Home and Garden Magazine. I've never tried it, but I'm saving the recipe for that time when I feel like it.
Hearty Mexican Bean Soup
2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 carrots, diced
2 medium zucchini, cubed
1 can (17 oz.) spicy pinto beans
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
1 whole cooked chicken breast, diced
Melt butter in soup pot and saute onion, carrots and zucchini until tender (6 to 8 minutes.)
Add remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with your choice of toppings.
Toppings such as sour cream, chopped cilantro, green onion, diced avocado or grated cheese add a finishing touch.
- Clean a vase: to remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
- Unclog steam iron. Pour equal amounts of vinegar and water into the iron's water chamber. Turn to steam and leave the iron on for 5 minutes in an upright position. Then unplug and allow to cool. Any loose particles should come out when you empty the water.
- Ants, ants, ants everywhere...Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and dra a line on the floor or wherever ants end to march.
- Remove decals. Brush with a couple of coats of vinegar. Allow to soak in. Wash off.
- Freshen cut flowers. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar for each quart of water.
- Polish jewelry: drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
- Clean eyeglasses. Wipe each lens with a drop of vinegar.
- To remove old self stick shelf paper quickly and easily, simply run a warm iron over the paper and it will peel right off.
Now I can toss the magazine in the recycle bin...one less clutter on my desk.