Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Filing Cabinet

I have documents, essays, photos and some verses--unfinished and finished--saved in my word folder, but they were all devoured by an SOV when it attacked my PC. I've been told so many times by my husband to save them in a flash drive or iomega, but I, always the procrastinator me, never listened. So I thought perhaps, I'd save them here. Some of them are news clips or recipes I've saved, and these sometimes just clutter my desk. Everybody can see them here, but there's no harm in letting the public see some good recipes or news clips or essays I've saved.

Here's a recipe from SCV's Home and Garden Magazine. I've never tried it, but I'm saving the recipe for that time when I feel like it.

Hearty Mexican Bean Soup

2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 carrots, diced
2 medium zucchini, cubed
1 can (17 oz.) spicy pinto beans
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
1 whole cooked chicken breast, diced

Melt butter in soup pot and saute onion, carrots and zucchini until tender (6 to 8 minutes.)

Add remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with your choice of toppings.

Toppings such as sour cream, chopped cilantro, green onion, diced avocado or grated cheese add a finishing touch.



Quicktips



  • Clean a vase: to remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
  • Unclog steam iron. Pour equal amounts of vinegar and water into the iron's water chamber. Turn to steam and leave the iron on for 5 minutes in an upright position. Then unplug and allow to cool. Any loose particles should come out when you empty the water.
  • Ants, ants, ants everywhere...Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and dra a line on the floor or wherever ants end to march.
  • Remove decals. Brush with a couple of coats of vinegar. Allow to soak in. Wash off.
  • Freshen cut flowers. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar for each quart of water.
  • Polish jewelry: drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
  • Clean eyeglasses. Wipe each lens with a drop of vinegar.
  • To remove old self stick shelf paper quickly and easily, simply run a warm iron over the paper and it will peel right off.

Now I can toss the magazine in the recycle bin...one less clutter on my desk.

No comments: