Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Been wondering


I found a wallet many years ago. It was on a weekday, when my co-workers and I took a lunch break. We parked on the street, and while I dug for coins in my purse to feed the parking meter, the two went ahead to the restaurant to get a table. As I rushed to join them, I saw the wallet on the sidewalk. I looked around to see if the owner was still around, but there was no one in my immediate surrounding. I went ahead to the restaurant and showed my boss and her associate what I found - an inexpensive blue cloth wallet. She, my boss, opened the wallet and counted the money. There was a total of $27 in one dollar denomination; no ID card. But there was a library card with the owner's name.

"A young girl owns this," she said. That's obvious since it didn't have a driver's license, no credit cards, receipts or other stuff that clutter older people's wallet.

After work, I went to the nearest library which was about 3 miles away from the office and dropped the wallet there. The young woman at the counter looked inside the wallet and counted the money. She then wound a tape around it and let me go. She did not get my name, nor my phone number.

That was many years ago...maybe about 8 or so. I never went back to the library.

I'm just wondering now, if Allison (I forgot her last name), who by this time could be in her 20's, has ever been reunited with her wallet.


14 comments:

Photo Cache said...

I hope the wallet got back to her.

Ebie said...

Mari, this is a nice sketch, and you have a photographic memory.

I am sure the lady got her wallet.

Tita Beng said...

Hi Mari! Let's just hope the wallet you found did reach the real owner. You reap what you sow. Just wait for the good karma or for all you know, you've been reapin' them all along!

Keep the good deed rollin'! Take care!

docgelo said...

from keys to wallet! you founnd lots of things, mari.

the owner of the wallet should be grateful to you, if she only knew.

dodong flores said...

Hi, Ms. Mari. That was quite an effort to go to the library to drop the wallet. If I also happen to find a wallet, I will also do the same...

Nice sketch right there...

bing said...

maybe yes, maybe no... but i hope she was reunited with it. :-)

Inday said...

Let me join the chorus of hope that the girl indeed was reunited with her wallet. That's still a lot of money for her age.

Pwede ka na sa CSI Mari. Mapuslan ra nang imong gift dinha in ARTS. You do us proud.

Thanks for visiting my Alpaca. He is the most visited blog ever sa tanan nakong post. haha Pambato!

Mari said...

Photo Cache,
I hope so, too.

Ebie,
Thanks. Photographic memory sometimes is good and sometimes is a curse.

Tita Beng,
Am still waiting for a windfall. LOL

docgelo,
It pays to look where you're going...you find stuff. LOL

dodong,
If I don't I'd feel guilty.

bing,
Let's hope.

Bonnie,
Yeah, that's a lot of money for a child.

CSI...LOL. I have never watched that show, though I like to read crime and mystery books.

Joy said...

I would wonder, too. But the fact remains that you went out of your way to find the wallet's owner. Not many people would.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again. Have a great start to your week!

Mari said...

Joy,
I know I would feel guilty if I keep the money. For a child that is a lot. I hope she got back her wallet.

Thanks for your visit.

Ebie said...

Hi Mari, I am looking forward to SCV's next chalk art festival in October, maybe you can come along. It was fun seeing those artists.

Mari said...

Ebie,
I participated in the street art here in our place a couple of times, along with my art teacher and classmates. It was fun doing that.

I'll see if I'm free those days.

sandy said...

well, heck, I didn't know you had these posts for 2010. I remember checking back a lot and nothing new for awhile..so it was me, not you, ha.

but anyway, i like this drawing. Have you been doing much art...I noticed your blog is private.

Mari said...

Sandy, I had planned to use my other blog for a personal journal, but have not done anything to it, yet. I procrastinate too much, I guess. LOL

Thanks for the visit.